Saturday, November 5, 2016

The Pop Culture Attorney: #LAWYERED



Hi, I'm Abby. I'm 22 and a graduate student at Chatham University studying Digital Media --- and more specifically, how the Internet and social media exists in a sociological landscape. Bear with me, it's more exciting than it sounds.

  I like to call myself a "celebrity connoisseur" -- in other words, I spend far too much time on the Internet. I'm a social media pro, as well as an Internet addict with a coffee problem. That coffee problems leads to me on Taylor Swift's old Myspace at 3 AM. 

I currently work at WTAE-TV where I produce digital content about the city of Pittsburgh. It's a social media- based career, so my life is pretty much the Internet.


I'm a strong defender of pop culture and how we interact with it. Though the ideology of high brow and low brow is long gone, people still feel the need to not only insult the Kardashians and their show, but attempt to compare it to an opera or theater, when they're in two totally different categories. It's like saying a star football player is a really awful, embarrassingly bad baker. When you're looking at reality television, Keeping Up With The Kardashians may be the best reality show on television for the sole purpose of not only their prominence in popular culture but how long the show has survived on television. Not only survive, but flourish.

We'll get more into that later.

In this blog I'm going to break down some current popular culture moments and study them in a communication scholar light, while understanding their place and impact in popular culture.

What many don't realize is how popular culture in general allows for us to establish a common link - a conversation we all can have together. It's a constant in our lives, whether we're aware of it or not.

Strap in, friends. I'm going to make you freakin' LOVE the Kardashian family. Trust me.


No comments:

Post a Comment